Alexander (Sandy) Astin
Alexander (Sandy) Astin, the Allan M. Cartter Professor of Higher Education Emeritus, died peacefully at his Los Angeles home on May 18 at the age of 89, just short of his 90th birthday on May 30. Astin was the founder of the Higher Education Research Institute (HERI) and Cooperative Institutional Research Program (CIRP). These research institutes oversee “The American Freshman,” an annual survey created by Astin in 1966 of first-time college freshmen across the nation.
- Allan M. Cartter Professor Emeritus
- Founding Director, Higher Education Research Institute
Ph.D., Psychology, University of Maryland, 1958
- Astin, A. W., Astin, H. S., & Lindholm, J. A. Cultivating the Spirit: How College Can Enhance Students’ Inner Lives. SanFrancisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
- Astin, A. W., Astin, H. S., & Lindholm, J. A. Assessing students’ spiritual and religious qualities. Journal of College Student Development, in press.
- Astin, A. W. & Denson, N. “Multi-campus Studies of College Impact: Which Statistical Method is Appropriate? Research in Higher Education, Vol. 50, No. 4, June 2009, 354-367
- Astin, A. W. Mindworks: Becoming More Conscious in an Unconscious World. Information Age Publishing, 2007.