Kathleen J. Lehman
Kathleen J. Lehman (she/her/hers) is an Assistant Academic Researcher in UCLA’s School of Education & Information Studies and serves as Associate Director of Momentum: Accelerating Equity in Computing and Technology at UCLA. Her research interests center on the experiences of women and minoritized students in STEM fields (particularly computer science), with an emphasis on creating additional pathways into STEM/computing majors and fields. Dr. Lehman serves as Principal Investigator or co-PI for several Momentum projects, including the NSF-funded broadening participation literature database and the enrollment and degree attainment data project, as well as the team’s work with the Center for Inclusive Computing.
Titles and Positions
- Associate Director, Momentum: Accelerating Equity in Computing and Technology
- Assistant Academic Researcher, School of Education & Information Studies
- Ph.D., University of California Los Angeles, Higher Education and Organizational Change, 2017
- M.A., The Ohio State University, Higher Education and Student Affairs, 2009
- B.A., Miami University, French, 2007
- Lehman, K. J., Newhouse, K. N., Sundar, S., & Sax, L. J. (2022). Nevertheless, They Persisted: Factors that Promote Persistence for Women and Racially/Ethnically Minoritized Students in Undergraduate Computing. Computer Science Education, 1-26. doi: 10.1080/08993408.2022.2086401
- Hovey, C.L., Lehman, K.J & Riggers-Piehl, T.A. (2022). Departmental culture and pedagogical choices: Student-centered teaching in introductory computing classes. In SIGCSE ’22: Proceedings of the 53rd ACM Technical Symposium on Computing Science Education. New York, NY: ACM.
- Lehman, K.J., Karpicz, J.R., Rozhenkova, V., Harris, J. & Nakajima, T.M. (2021). Growing enrollments require us to do more: Perspectives on broadening participation during an undergraduate computing enrollment boom. In SIGCSE ’21: Proceedings of the 52nd ACM Technical Symposium on Computing Science Education. New York, NY: ACM.
- Lehman, K.J., Wofford, A., Sendowski, M, Newhouse, K., & Sax, L.J. (2020). Better late than never: Exploring students’ pathways to computing in later stages of college. In SIGCSE ’20: Proceedings of the 51st ACM Technical Symposium on Computing Science Education. New York, NY: ACM.