Linda J. Sax
Moore Hall 3045
405 Hilgard Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1521
Linda J. Sax is a Professor of Higher Education in the UCLA School of Education & Information Studies and Founding Director of Momentum: Accelerating Equity in Computing and Technology. Dr. Sax’s research focuses on gender differences in the college student experience, with an emphasis on women in STEM fields. She is the Principal Investigator for research studies on institutions participating in two major initiatives to diversify undergraduate computing programs: BRAID (out of AnitaB.org) and the Center for Inclusive Computing (out of Northeastern University). Dr. Sax is the author of more than 100 publications, including her book, The Gender Gap in College: Maximizing the Developmental Potential of Women and Men.
Titles and Positions
- Professor, Higher Education and Organizational Change
- Faculty Director, MSA program
- Founding Director, Momentum: Accelerating Equity in Computing and Technology
- Ph.D., University of California Los Angeles, 1994
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1990
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- Mentoring Award, Association for the Study of Higher Education, 2019
- UCLA Department of Education Distinguished Teaching Award, 2015
- Fellow, Sudikoff Family Institute for Education & New Media – 2008-09
- University Scholar-in-Residence Award, American Association of University Women, 2005-2007
- Sax, L. J., George, K. L., Harris, D., & Payton, F. C. (2020). Reframing the representation of Black students in undergraduate computing. Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering, 26(4), 325-356. https://doi.org/10.1615/JWomenMinorScienEng.2020028576
- Sax, L. J., Newhouse, K. N. S., Goode, J., Skorodinsky, M., Nakajima, T. M., & Sendowski, M. (2020). Does AP CS Principles Broaden Participation in Computing? An Analysis of APCSA and APCSP Participants. Proceedings of the 51st ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, 542–548. https://doi.org/10.1145/3328778.3366826
- Sax, L. J., Lim, K., Lehman, K., & Monje-Paulson, L. (2018). Reversal of the Gender Gap: The Biological Sciences as a Unique Case within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). The Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering, 24(4): 291 324.
- Sax, L. J., Lehman, K., Jacobs, J.A., Kanny, A., Lim, G., Monje-Paulson, L. & Zimmerman, H. (2017). Anatomy of an Enduring Gender Gap: The Evolution of Women’s Participation in Computer Science. The Journal of Higher Education, 88(2): 258-293.