Christine L. Borgman
300 North Charles E. Young Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1520
Christine L. Borgman conducts research in scientific data practices and information policy. Her publications in information studies, computer science, communication, and law include three award-winning books from MIT Press and more than 250 journal articles, conference papers, and other scholarly products. She has held Visiting Scholar positions at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, the Harvard Data Science Initiative, and the Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society; Lund University in Sweden; the University of Oxford; Oliver Smithies Fellow at Balliol College; Oxford Internet Institute and Oxford eResearch Centre; Digital Archiving and Networked Services (DANS) and the eHumanities Group in the Netherlands; Fulbright Scholar in Budapest, Hungary; and Visiting Professor at Loughborough University, U.K.
- Distinguished Research Professor
- Presidential Chair in Information Studies, Emerita
- Ph.D., Communication, Stanford University
- M.L.I.S., University of Pittsburgh
- B.S., Mathematics. Michigan State University
Awards, Honors, and Fellowships
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery
- American Publishers Award for Professional and Scholarly Excellence (PROSE Award); Best book in Computing and Information Sciences (2015) for Big Data, Little Data, No Data: Scholarship in the Networked World
- Best Information Science Book of the Year from Association for Information Science and Technology (2008) for Scholarship in the Digital Age: Information, Infrastructure, and the Internet
- Borgman, C. L. (2015). Big Data, Little Data, No Data: Scholarship in the Networked World. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Borgman, C. L. (2007). Scholarship in the Digital Age: Information, Infrastructure, and the Internet. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Borgman, C. L. (2003). From Gutenberg to the Global Information Infrastructure: Access to Information in the Networked World. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Borgman, C. L., Wofford, M. F., Golshan, M. S., Darch, P. T. (2021). Collaborative qualitative research at scale: Reflections on 20 years of acquiring global data and making data global. Journal of the Association of Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.24439