Christina A. Christie
- Wasserman Dean, School of Education and Information Studies
- Professor of Education, Division of Social Research Methodology
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- 2019 American Evaluation Association, Research on Evaluation, Distinguished Scholar Award
- 2018 American Educational Research Association, Research on Evaluation SIG, Distinguished Scholar Award
- 2018 UCLA Staff Assembly Faculty/Staff Partnership Award
- 2018 Canadian Journal of Evaluation, Outstanding Publication Award
Teaching & Research Interests
- Applied evaluation research studies
- Research on evaluation practice
- Theoretical analysis
Christie is committed to training educational scholars in mixed-methods, and evaluation and research methods. She is the former Chair of the Theories of Evaluation Division and the Research on Evaluation Division and now serves on the board of the American Evaluation Association (elected) as member at large (2011-2013). She served as a section editor of the American Journal of Evaluation (2004-2009) and serves on the editorial board of Studies in Educational in Evaluation
Select Recent Journal Publications
- Norris, K., Mccreath, H., Hueffer, K., Aley, S.B., Chavira, G., Christie, C., Crespi, C., Crespo, C., D’Amour, G., Eagan, K., Echegoyen, L.E., Feig, A., Foroozesh, M., Guerrero, L., Johanson, K.E., Kamangar, F., Kingsford, L., Lacourse, W., Maccalla, N.M., Márquez-Magaña, L., Mathur, A., Maton, K., Mehravaran, S., Morales, D., Nakazono, T., Ofili, E., Okuyemi, K., Ott, L., Parangan-Smith, A., Pfund, C., Purnell, D.L., Reynolds, A., Rous, P.J., Saetermoe, C., Snyder, K., Vishwanatha, J., Wagler, A., Wallace, S., & Seeman, T. (2020). Baseline Characteristics of the 2015-2019 First Year Student Cohorts of the NIH Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity (BUILD) Program. Ethnicity & Disease, 30 4, 681-692. doi10.18865/ed.30.4.681
- Christie, C.A. & Alkin, M.C. (2019). Theorists’ models in action: A second look. New Directions for Evaluation, 163. doi:10.1002/ev.20337
- Christie, C. A., & Lemire, S. (2019). Why evaluation theory should be used to inform evaluation policy. American Journal of Evaluation. doi:10.1177/1098214018824045
- Lemire, S., & Christie, C. A. (2019). Meta-modeling Housing First—a theory-based synthesis approach. Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation, 33(3) 395-413. doi:10.3138/cjpe.52945 – 2018 outstanding publication award
Select Book Chapters
- Lemire, S., Christie, C. A., & Nielsen, S. B. (2020). Mending the theory gap in evaluation—moving towards theory knitting. In M. Palenberg & A. Paulson (Eds.), Evaluation and the Pursuit of Impact. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis
- Nielsen, S., Lemire, S., & Christie, C.A. (2018). The commercial side of evaluation. In J-E Furubo & N. Stame (Eds.), The Evaluation Enterprise. New York, NY:Taylor & Francis.
- Blagg, R. D., Franke, T. M., Christie, C. A. (2017). When the process is the question: Resource family recruitment in Los Angeles, CA. In Springer, J.F., Haas, P., & Porowski, A. Applied Policy Research: Concepts and Cases (2nd Edition). New York: Taylor & Francis.
- Christie, C.A. (2015). Setting the stage for understanding evaluation use and decision-making. In C. Christie & A. Vo. (Eds.). Issues in Evaluation Use & Decision-Making in Society. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Alkin, M.C. & Christie, C.A. (Eds.) (in preparation). Evaluation Roots (3rd edition). New York, NY: Guilford.
- Christie, C.A. & Vo, A. (Eds.). (2015). Issues in Evaluation Use & DecisionMaking in Society. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Donaldson, S.I., Christie, C.A. & Mark, M. (Eds.) (2014). Credible and Actionable Evidence in Evaluation: The Foundation for Rigorous and Influential Evaluations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Fitzpatrick, J., Christie, C.A. & Mark, M. (Eds.) (2008). Evaluation in Action: Interviews with Expert Evaluators. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.