Christina A. Christie
Christina Christie, Ph.D., is the Wasserman Dean of the School of Education and Information Studies at UCLA and also a professor of education in the Division of Social Research Methodology. She is an internationally recognized scholar whose work focuses on understanding evaluation as a method for facilitating social betterment. As part of this work, she has developed studies to advance the theories and methods used to measure educational, social, and behavioral changes that result from program innovation and reform efforts. She has been recognized with distinguished career awards by two leading associations, as the recipient of the 2018 American Educational Research Association, Research on Evaluation Special Interest Group, Distinguished Scholar Award, and the 2019 American Evaluation Association, Research on Evaluation Distinguished Scholar. Before being appointed Wasserman Dean, Christie served for five years as Chair of the Department of Education and prior to that six years as Division Head of Social Research Methodology.
- Wasserman Dean, School of Education and Information Studies
- Professor of Education, Division of Social Research Methodology
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- 2019 American Evaluation Association, Research on Evaluation, Distinguished Scholar Award
- 2018 American Educational Research Association, Research on Evaluation SIG, Distinguished Scholar Award
- 2018 UCLA Staff Assembly Faculty/Staff Partnership Award
- 2018 Canadian Journal of Evaluation, Outstanding Publication Award
Teaching & Research Interests
- Applied evaluation research studies
- Research on evaluation practice
- Theoretical analysis
Select Recent Journal Publications
- Norris, K., Mccreath, H., Hueffer, K., Aley, S.B., Chavira, G., Christie, C., Crespi, C., Crespo, C., D’Amour, G., Eagan, K., Echegoyen, L.E., Feig, A., Foroozesh, M., Guerrero, L., Johanson, K.E., Kamangar, F., Kingsford, L., Lacourse, W., Maccalla, N.M., Márquez-Magaña, L., Mathur, A., Maton, K., Mehravaran, S., Morales, D., Nakazono, T., Ofili, E., Okuyemi, K., Ott, L., Parangan-Smith, A., Pfund, C., Purnell, D.L., Reynolds, A., Rous, P.J., Saetermoe, C., Snyder, K., Vishwanatha, J., Wagler, A., Wallace, S., & Seeman, T. (2020). Baseline Characteristics of the 2015-2019 First Year Student Cohorts of the NIH Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity (BUILD) Program. Ethnicity & Disease, 30 4, 681-692. doi10.18865/ed.30.4.681
- Christie, C.A. & Alkin, M.C. (2019). Theorists’ models in action: A second look. New Directions for Evaluation, 163. doi:10.1002/ev.20337
- Christie, C. A., & Lemire, S. (2019). Why evaluation theory should be used to inform evaluation policy. American Journal of Evaluation. doi:10.1177/1098214018824045
- Lemire, S., & Christie, C. A. (2019). Meta-modeling Housing First—a theory-based synthesis approach. Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation, 33(3) 395-413. doi:10.3138/cjpe.52945 – 2018 outstanding publication award
Select Book Chapters
- Lemire, S., Christie, C. A., & Nielsen, S. B. (2020). Mending the theory gap in evaluation—moving towards theory knitting. In M. Palenberg & A. Paulson (Eds.), Evaluation and the Pursuit of Impact. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis
- Nielsen, S., Lemire, S., & Christie, C.A. (2018). The commercial side of evaluation. In J-E Furubo & N. Stame (Eds.), The Evaluation Enterprise. New York, NY:Taylor & Francis.
- Blagg, R. D., Franke, T. M., Christie, C. A. (2017). When the process is the question: Resource family recruitment in Los Angeles, CA. In Springer, J.F., Haas, P., & Porowski, A. Applied Policy Research: Concepts and Cases (2nd Edition). New York: Taylor & Francis.
- Christie, C.A. (2015). Setting the stage for understanding evaluation use and decision-making. In C. Christie & A. Vo. (Eds.). Issues in Evaluation Use & Decision-Making in Society. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Alkin, M.C. & Christie, C.A. (Eds.) (in preparation). Evaluation Roots (3rd edition). New York, NY: Guilford.
- Christie, C.A. & Vo, A. (Eds.). (2015). Issues in Evaluation Use & DecisionMaking in Society. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Donaldson, S.I., Christie, C.A. & Mark, M. (Eds.) (2014). Credible and Actionable Evidence in Evaluation: The Foundation for Rigorous and Influential Evaluations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Fitzpatrick, J., Christie, C.A. & Mark, M. (Eds.) (2008). Evaluation in Action: Interviews with Expert Evaluators. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.