Carlos Alberto Torres
Moore Hall 2018
405 Hilgard Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1521
Carlos Alberto Torres, Distinguished Professor, and former Director of the UCLA-Latin American Center, is a political sociologist of education who did his undergraduate work in sociology in Buenos Aires, Argentina (B.A. honors and teaching credential in Sociology, Universidad del Salvador), his graduate work in Mexico (M.A. in Political Science, Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences, FLACSO) and the United States (M.A. and Ph.D. in International Development Education, Stanford University), and post-doctoral studies in educational foundations in Edmonton, Canada (University of Alberta). He is also the Founding Director of the Paulo Freire Institute in São Paulo, Brazil with Paulo Freire; Buenos Aires, Argentina; and UCLA. Dr. Torres has been a Visiting Professor in universities in North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia and Africa. He was the inaugurable holder of the UNESCO UCLA Chair on Global Learning and Global Citizenship Education, Department of Education, UCLA (2016-2020), past President the Comparative and International Education Society (CIES), 1997, past President of the World Council of Comparative Education Societies (WCCES), 2013-2016.
- Director, UCLA Paulo Freire Institute
- 12/86 - 6/88 University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Post-Doctoral Scholarship. Department of Educational Foundations-Centre for International Education and Development (CIED).
- 9/80-11/83 Stanford University, Stanford, California. Ph.D., International Development Education. Stanford International Development Education Committee (SIDEC), School of Education.
Title of Ph. D. Dissertation: Educational policy formation and the Mexican corporatist state: a study of adult education policy and planning in Mexico (1970-1982)
- 9/80-10/82 Stanford University, Stanford, California. M. A., Stanford International Development Education. Stanford International Development Education Committee (SIDEC), School of Education.
- 10/76-6/78 Latin American Faculty of Social Science (FLACSO), Mexico City, Mexico. M. A., Political Science.
Title of Master Dissertation: La Economía Política de Argentina: Análisis del proceso político y económico en la coyuntura argentina de 1973-1974
Awards, Honors, and Fellowships
- Killam Postdoctoral Scholar, University of Alberta (12/86-06/88)
- National Academy of Education Postdoctoral Fellowship hold at UCLA (1990-1992)
- Two Fulbright fellowships
- October 25, 2016 the title of Doctor Honoris Causa by the Universidade Lusofona de Humanidades e Tecnologias, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Carlos Alberto Torres, Education for Critical Consciousness and Deliberative Democracy:
A Critical Reading of Paulo Freire's Hermeneutic Contributions. Introduction to Paulo Freire, Education for Critical Consciousness. London Bloomsbury, in press (2021)
- Carlos Alberto Torres, Theoretical and Empirical Foundations of Critical Global Citizenship Education. New York, Routledge/Taylor and Francis, 2017. This book was published in the new Series of Routledge/Taylor and Francis New York, entitled Critical Global Citizenship Education. Carlos Alberto Torres is the Series Editor
- Massimiliano Tarozzi and Carlos Alberto Torres, Global Citizenship Education and the Crisis of Multiculturalism: Comparative Perspectives. London & Oxford, Bloomsbury Publishing, 2016. Translated into Chinese by the Center for Global Citizenship Education, National Chiao Tung University (2019) Hsinchu, Taiwan. With a new preface for the Chinese edition.
- Torres, Carlos Alberto. First Freire. Early Writings in Social Justice Education. New York, Teachers College Press, 2014. This book received the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) Cyril O. Houle Award for Outstanding Literature in Adult Education in 2015. Translation to Chinese by Pro-Ed Publishing Company, Taipei, Taiwan, 2017.