Marjorie Elaine Faulstich Orellana
Moore Hall 1032A
405 Hilgard Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1521
Tuesdays 1-2 pm, Wednesdays 3-4 pm and by appointment
Marjorie Faulstich Orellana is Professor of Urban Schooling, Associate Director of the International Program on Migration, and Co-Director of Faculty for the Teacher Education Program. Her research centers on the experiences of immigrant youth in urban schools and communities, including as language and cultural brokers for their families. She is the author of Translating Childhoods: Immigrant Youth and Cultures (Rutgers University Press, 2009), Immigrant Children in Transcultural Spaces: Language, Learning and Love (Routledge, 2016), a 2019 co-edited volume (with Inmaculada García-Sánchez): Language and Cultural Processes in Communities and Schools: Bridging Learning for Students from Non-Dominant Groups (Routledge, 2019), and Mindful Ethnography: Mind, Heart, and Activity for Transformative Social Research (Routledge, 2019). She is a past president of the Council of Anthropology and Education and was a bilingual classroom teacher in Los Angeles from 1983 to 1993.
- Professor, Urban Schooling
- Co-Director of Faculty, Teacher Education Program
- Associate Director, Center for the Study of International Migration
- Founding Director, Bruin Club After-School Program
- Ph.D., University of Southern California, 1995
- B.A., Brown University, 1982
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- AERA Fellow, 2021.
- The Bobbie and Mark Greenfield Faculty Award for Applied Research in Learning and Achievement, Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, UCLA, 2017.
- Fulbright Specialist Roster, 2016-2021.
- Mentoring Award. Division G, American Educational Research Association, 2015.
- Orellana, Marjorie Elaine Faulstich. (2019). Mindful Ethnography: Mind, Heart and Activity for Transformative Social Research. New York: Routledge. View Here
- García-Sánchez, Inmaculada and Orellana, Marjorie Faulstich (Eds.). (2019). Language and Social Practices in Communities and Schools: Bridging Learning for Students from Non-Dominant Groups. New York: Routledge. View Here
- Orellana, Marjorie Faulstich. (2016). Immigrant Youth in Transcultural Spaces: Language, Literacy and Love. New York: Routledge. View Here
- Orellana, Marjorie Faulstich. (2009). Translating Childhoods: Immigrant Youth, Language and Culture. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press. View Here