Higher Education & Organizational Change Division
Overview of Program
HEOC represents the School's commitment to excellence, equity, and social justice within higher education and to a steadfast belief in the transformatory nature of higher education as an institution of social change. In the M.A. and Ph.D. programs, students gain an understanding of the historical, political, social, and philosophical elements that have shaped and continue to affect higher education. They also work with the resources and ongoing research of the Higher Education Research Institute (HERI).
The purview of the HEOC Division encompasses:
- Research and scholarship aimed at furthering a critical understanding of higher education and its role in society
- Developing in practitioners of higher education the skills necessary for visionary leadership, community building, and responsible citizenship
- Providing service to our local, state, national and international communities aimed at the improvement of higher education, and in general, the furthering of education for all people
HEOC aims to provide students with:
- An understanding of the historical, political, social, and philosophical elements which have shaped and continue to affect American higher education.
- An understanding of the broad scope, diversity, and functions of postsecondary education and its component parts.
- An understanding of the theories, issues, and practices that define postsecondary education and its research.
- The ability to develop and apply theory, research, and methods to professional practice.
- A sense of colleagueship with peers and faculty as well as with other scholars and professionals in the field.
What Graduates Do
Graduate students at UCLA Department of Education benefit from—and contribute to— the resources of the country’s number one public graduate school of education.
The UCLA Ed & IS Office of Student Services looks forward to assisting you through the application process. If we can be of service to you in any step of this process, please feel free to contact any one of our advisors.
DIVISION ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
DIVISION GRADUATE ADVISOR