Val D. Rust is Professor Emeritus at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He received his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan in International Relations and Education Studies. At UCLA, he served as the Faculty Chair of the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, and served for many years as the Director of the International Education Office at UCLA, which houses all campus study abroad programs. He was also Director of the Center for International and Development Education (CIDE), which deals extensively with higher educational mapping around the world and international educational leadership.
His primary research interests are with the politics of educational reform, social change, and internationalizing higher education. He headed a number of development projects around the world. He participated actively in distance learning programs as well as evaluation and training programs connected mainly with organizational development and professional renewal. He has also been actively engaged in humanitarian relief projects, especially those related to relief. In the past, relief efforts for refugees have concentrated on shelter, medicine, food, and clothing, but because contemporary refugees and displaced persons are dislocated for considerable periods of time, it is becoming more and more apparent that education must become a relief priority. He has served as the chair of the board of Relief International.
He retired in 2009, but has remained active in research and publishing.
- Postdoctoral Studies, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway, 1978
- Research Fellow, Deutsches Institut für Internationale Pädagogische Forschung, 1966
- Ph. D., Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1967
- Zajda, J. and V. Rust, Globalization and Comparative Education (Amsterdam, Springer, 2021).
- Rust, V. and Omwami, E., “Globalization, Nationalism, and Inclusive Education for All: A Reflection on Ideological Shift in Educational Reform,” in Joseph Zajda (ed.). Globalisation, Social Change and Educational Reforms: New Paradigms and Ideologies (Amsterdam: Springer, 2020).
- Rust, V. and V. Rozenkova, “Internationalization of Higher Education in Russia: Aiming for Global Recognition,” in Joseph Zajda (ed.). Globalisation, Policy and Comparative Research, (New York: Springer, 2017).
Handbook on Islamic Education (Amsterdam: Springer, 2017).
- Rust, V. and C. Allaf, “Fundamentalism, Terrorism, and Islamic Education,” in H. Daun and A. Reza (eds.), Handbook on Islamic Education (Amsterdam: Springer, 2017).