Teaching & Research Interests
- Chicano Studies-education and language of Chicanos and other Latinos within the U.S.
- Education-bilingual instruction and methods; U.S. educational history and policy analysis; social context of curriculum design and implementation; multicultural curricular issues.
- Linguistics-bilingualism (language demography, language maintenance and shift); language policy & planning with focus on the U.S. (especially language policy as a mechanism of social control).
- Education-Bilingual education, biliteracy instruction, bilingual/ESL methodology, multicultural education, educational policy, language assessment and language use in the classroom, alternative schooling, language instruction and learning (reading, writing, and oral language), and futures.
- Sociolinguistics-Applied sociolinguistics, multilingualism, language policy and planning, language demography, language change, methodology.
- Chicana/o Studies-Chicano language and speech, Chicana/o Studies introduction, survey and theory courses, education and the Chicano.
- Ph.D., Linguistics, Georgetown University, 1979
- M.S., Linguistics, Georgetown University, 1977
- M.A., Education, University of California, Los Angeles, 1973
- B.A., Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1969
Macías, R.F. and Kathy O’Byrne. 2006. The Engaging Department of Chicana and Chicano Studies: UCLA in LA. In Kevin Kecskes, ed. The Engaged Department. Anker Publishers, Inc.
Macías, R. F. 2005. El Grito en Aztlán: Voice and Presence in Chicana/o Studies. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education. (Special Issue on Chicana/o Studies). 18:2 (March-April). pp. 165-184.
Macías, R.F. 2005. Bilingualism and Multilingualism. In MaryAnne Cline Horowitz, ed. New Dictionary on the History of Ideas. Vol. 1. Detroit, MI: Charles Scribner’s Sons. pp. 209-213.
Macías, R.F., Victoria-María MacDonald, and Juan Carrillo. 2005. Bilingual Education. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Latinos and Latinas in the United States. Vol. 1. Oxford University Press. pp. 170-176.
Macías, Reynaldo F. 2003. Language Minority Students: Scope of the Issue. In James W. Guthrie.