Ph.D., Northwestern University, 1969
Teaching & Research Interests
- Organization and conduct of face to face interaction
- Sociolinguistic discourse analysis
- Ethnographic research methods
- Study of social interaction as a learning environment
- Talk and social theory: Ecologies of speaking and listening in everyday life. Cambridge UK: Polity Press. 2004.
- Culture in society and in educational practices. Revised chapter in J. Banks and C. M. Banks (eds.) Multicultural Education: Issues and perspectives. (5th edition) New York: John Wiley. 2004.
- Origins: A brief intellectual and technical history of the emergence of multimodal discourse analysis. In P. Levine and R. Scollon (eds.) 2004.
- Discourse and technology: Multimodal discourse analysis. Washington DC: Georgetown University Press. 2004.
VIDEOS: Talk and Social Theory: Ecologies of Speaking and Listening in Everyday Life